Knit my fugly (first and ugly sock) recently. To prove exactly how ugly it is, here is visual proof. An aerial shot of the fugly:
It actually doesn't look as bad in these pictures as it really is. If you look up close, you see that the stockinette stitch on the leg is very shaky. It's much better on the foot. I'll guess the shaky stockinette is due to getting used to using dpns.
There were also many dropped stitches along the way; the orange pin is hanging onto one in the second picture. Most of them I found long after they were first dropped and, seeing as I somehow ended up with the right number of stitches, I didn't fix them properly. I just tacked them down.
Actually, I never did finish the sock. The pattern calls for a three needle bind off and I got too frustrated trying to do that on these tiny needles that I just ditched finishing it. That's why it's got the open-mouthed fish look to it in the side view.
So, after getting photographic evidence of its fugliness, I frogged the thing and put the yarn away to try another pair of socks with it another time. I wasn't going to wear it because it's way too big. And I certainly wasn't going to give one fugly sock to someone with bigger feet (although I might have given one big fugly sock to someone with one big foot; I just don't know anyone like that). I've been working on that sock off and on for months; the yarn and I need some time apart.
But all is not lost! Despite producing an awful first sock, I am smitten by sock knitting! And, shortly after frogging the above travesty of hosiery, I started in on a new sock. The pattern is The Humble Sock by Nikki Burns. It's a free download via Ravelry. I couldn't find a non-Ravelry link to the pattern, which is cuff-down construction; but click here for a link to a toe-up construction pattern of the exact same sock. It has directions for dpns and a circular needle.
It is a very basic sock; it's quite similar to the above sock, except it's got sizing for small, medium and large. The above sock pattern didn't have small. I could have adjusted the number of stitches, but, since I don't have a lot of sock knitting experience, I just looked for a small sock pattern.
A visual of my much more promising sock:
In the above picture, I've just finished 2" ribbing and have started on the stockinette for the leg. The stockinette here is much nicer than on the fugly sock. Even if I made a second fugly sock, it would have looked so different/better than the first because the leg stockinette would have been so much smoother and better. Probably almost like a totally different sock. There's enough ugliness in the world that I don't need to add to it with my fugly socks.
Let me draw your attention to the doohickey holding the dpns together:
It holds your dpns together when you put your project away. I will definitely also use it on the dpns not in use when I do the heel flap. I didn't have this gadget while knitting the fugly sock and found myself constantly dropping stitches off the non-heel flap dpns. This thing is nice and light and should keep those dpns in line when I'm working on this sock's heel flap. Got this gadget at The Blue Purl in Madison, NJ.
So far I haven't lost any stitches on the new sock. I have dropped some, but found them in time and was able to work them back up with a crochet hook.
I'm using size US2 needles on this sock; not the tiniest of needles, but I almost always find it easier to work the first row after having cast on with a larger needles. Edison was sitting on my lap at the time I was casting on. I could have kicked him off to get a more appropriate sized needle for casting on, but of course I'm not going to inconvenience him. The only other needle I had within reach was a size US9 so yes, I cast on using a needle 7 sizes bigger. And you can tell, but that's okay; I kind of like the way it looks.