Dunno where the current fascination with zombies originated (maybe something to do with this? somehow I doubt it...not enough penetration into the public consciousness). Doesn't this sound like fun? Then again, the undead are so interesting, they can't help but be the life of the party.
Asbury Park is hosting the NJ Zombie Walk today at 5:00 p.m. rain or shine. Check out the Boardwalk's facebook page (you don't need to be in facebook to see it) or read about it in The Asburied Park Press on the walk's website. Registration (free) and pre-walk events start at 11:00 a.m. Fresh out of zombie makeup? No worries: you can use the free makeup at the walk or get a professional zombification for a $10 donation to somewhere or other.
They have a mess of stuff scheduled. Some especially inviting tidbits:
- at 6:30 p.m., post-walk, the Zombie Fest begins with a Thriller performance by Asbury Dance & Yoga
- 7:00 p.m. - zombie beauty pageant
- 10:00 p.m. - Zombie Walk Official After Party at Asbury Lanes ($10 cover)
- roller derby in Convention Hall: The Jersey Shore Roller Girls v. Montreal Roller Derby (I've never seen roller derby; a rather mild-mannered friend is interested in doing this, so now I'm curious)
- among the performances, Tragedy: The All Undead, Heavy Metal Bee Gees Tribute Band; this in itself sounds pretty darn worthy of consideration
Much of it seems kid-friendly, esp. the earlier stuff, e.g., Dan Zanes at the Paramount in the afternoon.
There's even a bloodmobile (mind you, it's where you give blood).
Sounds like a ton o' fun...I just heard about it so I don't know if it's going to happen with us although the only thing we have to do today is pick up a mess of cat litter and deliver it to the cat shelter. It's PATCH in Pompton Lakes, NJ and it's an all-cat, no-kill, private shelter. Felix, the cat on their linked front page, is so freaking cute I'm gonna try and steal the photo and post it here.
As an aside, this was originally a bmp image, which TypePad won't let me use, but I just Googled how to convert bmp to jpg, which TypePad does like, and it was easy as pie. Here's the link about converting. You just need Microsoft Paint, which is usually included in Accessories. Some of the Google results involved downloading software, which I disprefer bco the risk of downloading narsty stuff along with the software, so I was pleased to find this very easy solution.
There is an embarrassment of riches wrt zombie lolcats with which to end this post. This is one of the cutest widdle zombie lolcats:
The tongue in this picture really adds a certain je ne sais quoi:
All this time I thought cats were doing something completely different when they did this:
Well, just goes to show, you're never too old to learn.